Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Planning Begins

Everyone,

I am so glad that we have this trip planned this year. It will be great timing for me and exactly where I want to be. This trip starts 8 days after my last chemo treatment. I will be tired and bald and pasty and thoroughly happy to be able to spend the weekend with such great friends. I know that these are exactly the people that will drink and laugh and talk and will accept that the most I might be able to do is sit on the couch and enjoy it all.

We are booked at the Dirty Face Lodge from September 18-21 2008. I have collected the deposit money from everyone and they know we are coming. With regret, I need to relenquish my part in the planning at this point. I just know that I can't be the one to plan the timing or directions or food or alcohol at this time in my life. But I know that we have done this enough time that together we can do it. Tell me if I need to bring a bottle of wine or a bag of chips or write a check and I will do it, but other than that, I am stepping out.

It is possible that you might have to open a google account in order to be able to access this, but I have given us all author rights so you can do the same things I can. You can create a post, add a comment, change the settings, add pictures or anything else you want to do.

Love you all!

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm a newbie to these annual ventures so I don't want to be so presumptuous as to suggest I can handle the entire planning for it, but I'm happy to do whatever I can to help out. So for those of you who have so much more experience than me, please let me know how I can help.

To get the ball rolling, I thought I'd start a list that y'all can add to - things we need to think about:

1) meals (do you guys usually plan these and have everyone bring items based on a menu? Or, does everyone bring their own food? Little of each? Any vegetarians in this group?)

2) beverages (can we simply say, "sign up to bring x of red, x # white, 2 btls of vodka, 4 btls sour mix, sodas, water, etc.?")

3) games - self explanatory

4) activities (for some who may want to get a game of golf in, hikes, etc.)

5) "Don't forget..." list (y'all probably have a great collection of things to go here.

That's all I've got for the moment. Hope this helps to get the juices flowing.

--Shannon

Heidi Westling said...

i love this blog! :)

Tristi & Matt said...

Shannon...so glad you and Mike are joining us!

I am thinking of three major things that require coordinating for this group. They are: (1) Food/Meals, (2) House Rental (fees) & (3) Directions & Arrival times. If we had people in charge of each item then it won't be too much for any one person to take on. I am happy to coordinate the food, if someone would do it with me, and we can use this blog to decide on final meal selections. We can do the drinks like we have in the past....everyone is in charge of their own drinks except for coffee and dinner wine which can be included in the general meal purchases.

I looked back at my expenses for food from our past trips and I found out that I spent $575 the last time we went to Lake Roosevelt...that was in 2002! Anyway, the menus from that weekend were rather elaborate, but after we adjust for inflation, a very simple assortment of meals would probably cost at least $600 ($100 per couple) for the group for the weekend. That would include Snacks for Thursday night, breakfast/lunch/dinner for Friday & Saturday night & Breakfast/lunch for Sunday.

Tracy said that we could also go out to eat while we are there, as there are restaurants nearby, so that would obviously alter the meal requirements. I am up for whatever the group wants, but Tracy may not feel up for going out, so I am happy to at least have dinners at the house as a group....whatever everyone wants.

Okay, that is my long drawn out contribution to the blog! This is going to be a great trip!

Shannon said...

Hey Tristi, great info about the food. I agree - I am for eating in unless Trac is up for going out. I'll take directions and arrival times. That makes sense for someone living out of state, doesn't it?? Does everyone else live in the greater Seattle area? I'll work on this soon. Looking forward to mid-September!